The office has received several samples in haircards that have been incorrectly placed. Here are a few tips to ensure that proper hair samples are taken. As well as reducing the risk of contamination:
- Pull the hair out of the tail in the opposite direction of the hair growth.
- Ensure that the sample size is at least the thickness of a pencil.
- Stick the roots of the hair to the glued side of the haircard. Cut off the excess hair from the haircard.
- Avoid touching the roots of the hair.
- Don’t put the sample directly on any surface.
- Immediately stick the sample to the haircard.
- Include the animal ID and RFID on the haircard.
- Properly close the haircard after inserting the sample.
- Do not work with multiple samples at the same time.
View the video on using hair cards on the Wagyu YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU-qqtdF6w8